Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christmas Recipes

In the Tri-City Herald today there was a recipe that looked really yummy. I think I'm going to make it for Christmas.


SPINACH AND CHEESE STRATA

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper
freshly ground nutmeg
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed, pressed to remove water
1 loaf French or Italian bread, cubed, about 8 cups
1 cup grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese
9 eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons coarse-grained mustard

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
Stir in salt and pepper and nutmeg to taste. Stir in spinach; remove from heat. Spread bread in a buttered 13-by-9-inch baking pan; stir in spinach mixture. Set aside.
Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in milk and mustard; pour over the bread and spinach. (Casserole may be refrigerated up to 24 hours before baking; remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before placing in oven.) Bake until set, cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 35 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
prep time: 25 minutes
cooking time: 35 minutes

I also thought I'd make Flintstone Dip this year. I've made a spinach dip for Christmas but I've never made Flintstone Dip before. I found a recipe tonight I thought I'd try. BTW, why is it called Flintstone Dip?


FLINTSTONE DIP

1 pkg. Knox vegetable soup mix
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. sour cream
1 pkg. frozen spinach, squeezed dry
4 green onions, chopped fine
1 can water chestnuts, chopped fine
Flintstone Bread (round bread bowl)
Mix well all ingredients for dip and let set overnight. Before serving, hollow out bread. Fill with dip. Cube center of bread for dipping. Serves 12.

No comments: